Texas Treasures Chosen By Our Listeners
This past week we learned that Whataburger is an official Texas Treasure. Of course, there's many people who don't even like Whataburger. I'm not one of them. I'm a Texas girl born and raised and I LOVE Whataburger. It has been there for me for many a hangover, as well as a 2 AM feeding after a fun night out.
While we discussed Whataburger, we thought up some other Texas legacies that should be considered official Texas Treasures. Buzz, even though he's not a Texas native but has lived here long enough, thinks that Robert Earl Keen should be considered a Texas Treasure. Brandon and Lisa, although newcomers to Texas stand by the decision to have Whataburger an official Texas Treasure. At this point many of our listeners on the Facebook chat (which you can follow every morning here) decided to chime in with what they think should be an official Texas Treasure. Here were their answers:
- H-E-B (we don't have one here in EP, and I've never been to one, but I hear great things about it- so, I guess that should be one)
- Buc-EE's (Again, we don't have one here!)
- Allsup's Beef & Bean Burritos (THESE ARE GREAT! We don't have one in EP but I've been to others and those beef and bean burritos are DA BOMB!)
- Blue Bell Ice Cream- I'm beginning to see a pattern here- it's mostly food! But... just look at it- Blue Bell Ice Cream is delicious so I'm down for it to be an official Texas Treasure!
- Willie Nelson- Yeah, we need to make him a Texas Treasure, he's not getting any younger!
- And on that note- Beto O'Rourke: No matter how you feel about O'Rourke and his policies he's definitely pushed Texas (and El Paso!) into the spotlight. He was also recently awarded "El Pasoan of the Year"
- Navy SEAL Chris Kyle- Definitely a hero and should be a Texas Treasure. If you don't know who he is, they made a movie about his life called "American Sniper" which starred Bradley Cooper.
- Matthew McConaughey- alright, alright, alright.
- Micheladas- for real. Only here in Texas will they give you a proper Michelada. Any other state will just give you a red beer setup!
- Stevie Ray Vaughn- totally should be one!
- Eddie Guerrero- Agree. He should be one!
As for what I think should be a Texas Treasure? Well, what I had in mind is an El Paso thing, but then I realized, we don't have an H-E-B or a Buc-EE's, so why not make my idea a Texas Treasure? That's right. CHICO'S!
Some hate it, some love it. There is no in between! But it definitely is memorable.
Did our listeners or us miss something? Let us know!