A New Mexico teen was electrocuted and died after using her cell phone while in the bathtub.

A freak accident has taken the life of a 14 year-old from Lovington, New Mexico. Madison Coe is from Lubbock, Texas but was visiting her father in Lovington, New Mexico for the summer. She was in the bathtub using her phone when she was electrocuted. Her family told KCBD that they believe she grabbed her phone while it was charging and it electrocuted her. Her grandmother Donna O'Guinn said there was a burn mark on the hand that would have been used to grab the phone. The police are still investigating the incident, saying it is not known exactly how Coe was electrocuted.

The family now says it's their mission to warn other families about the dangers of using electronics near water. According to O'Guinn,

"This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging. It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult. We don’t want to lose anybody. We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix. She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart."

A GoFundMe page has been set up and Madison's memorial has been set for this Friday in Lovington, New Mexico and Saturday in Lubbock, Texas. Read more about this at the KRQE website.

More From 96.5 KNRX