Spoiler-Filled ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Review
This should go without saying, but I feel I need to say it anyway. ***SPOILERS AHEAD***
Alright, here we go. If you're hoping for a review that gives the move X amount of stars out of 5, you won't be getting that here. I'm going to need to let this one simmer a bit before I can properly do that. BUT, here are things I liked and disliked.
- The fact that I won the bet with Buzz. We each made 5 predictions, and whoever got the most, wins. There was one prediction that definitively came true, and three others that are iffy, depending on how you look at it.
- Princess Leia dies. BOOM! That's my win.
- Rey is a Skywalker. Well, sort of. She does take the name at the end of the movie. I'll give Buzz a point for that one.
- The other two predictions that were mine are up for interpretation are that Ahsoka Tano and Anakin Skywalker show up. Technically they did. Their voices did. At the end of the movie when Rey starts hearing voices, it's been confirmed, these are the Jedi she hears:
- Anakin Skywalker
- Ahsoka Tano
- Luke Skywalker
- Mace Windu
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Qui-Gon Jinn
- Luminara Unduli
- Aayla Secura
- Adi Gallia
- Kana Jarrus
- Chewbacca didn't die. Thank God. Although watching him react to others dying gets me choked up.
- Han's 'I know' to Ben Solo.
- Ben Solo sacrificing himself for Rey at the end. As much as I wasn't a fan of some of the plot (I'll get into that later), I did like this. Kylo Ren also wanted to be like Darth Vader. Well, he followed in his footsteps by turning back to the Light Side and sacrificing himself to save another.
- I'm honestly glad they didn't go with the direct "Rey is a Skywalker" storyline. That would have been too easy and stupid. But to make her related to Palpatine was along the same lines of "let's use the same twist as before" thinking.
- Now, if you're complaining that you can't believe Palpatine would procreate, he's a Sith. They're the exact opposite of the Jedi. And the Jedi aren't allowed to have relationships. So, by that rationale, Palpatine was probably slaying ass all over the galaxy.
- Was The Last Jedi even needed? There is almost no cohesion with this trilogy. Rather than properly planning out the story lines, Disney seemed to be cool with just letting Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams do whatever Hell they want.
- This story itself wasn't bad, but since they did just completely waste The Last Jedi, this was way too rushed. Although that does leave them room for the comics and possible TV shows.
- The Princess Leia stuff seemed really forced, no pun intended. I did kind of like how they showed her training to be a Jedi though.
Overall, it's a Star Wars movie, and I'll watch it. But I'm still not sure how I feel about it.