Prices on These 8 Grocery Items Are Rising Fastest Here in San Angelo
Prices for everything are going up. With gasoline prices surging, it’s causing the prices of almost everything else to go up with it.
Groceries have been hit by many price increase whammies. Supply chain issues, higher labor costs and farmers paying more for fertilizer, fuel and feed are contributing factors. Plus, continued price pressure caused by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Here in San Angelo, that means food prices are already nearly 5% higher than last year overall and there are more price increases to come. So what are the top 8 grocery items that have seen the highest price increases here in San Angelo?
1) Bacon The price of bringing home the "bacon" in San Angelo is on the rise. So far this year, bacon is up 18.8% in San Angelo according to government estimates. While that is the biggest grocery item increase over the last year, it is not forecasted to continue to raise in price for the remainder of the year as much as #2
2) Beef Cows are pure gold. I'm surprised farmers aren't guarding their herds. In the past year beef is up 16% You see a lot of people in the meat department shaking their heads. Even worse, analysts say beef prices are poised to rise further at a higher rate than any other food item this year. Vegan anyone?
3) Chicken If you are a super chicken lover then Henny Penny is right. The sky IS falling but prices aren't. Hold on to your nuggets. So far this year, chicken prices are up 13.2% and are forecast to rise almost as fast as beef prices.
4) Flour and Flour Mixes This one is misleading. Many of us don't buy flour anymore, but flour is in so many other things. You can't bring home your "daily bread" without flour. So, let them eat cake? Nope. Flour. Flour is in crackers. As a basic ingredient it is fueling the rise in so many other grocery items and analysts say there is no relief in sight to higher prices. Flour is up nearly 13% in San Angelo so far this year.
5) Oils, fats and peanut butter Everything from coconut oil and palm oils to vegetable oils and margarine. Prices are going kup. So far they're up nearly 13% in San Angelo this year. Expected to continue to rise in price through the rest of the year
6) Milk It might "do the body good" but it's not going to do anything but drain your wallet for the foreseeable future. Raising cattle is getting more expensive. Milk producers face challenges from transportation to higher labor costs. That's why milk is already 12% more expensive in San Angelo on average in the last year and going up.
7)Fresh Fruits Fruit has already gone up in recent years and the trend continues. Higher gasoline costs and labor for harvesting are taking their toll. Even so, fruits haven't raised in price quite as much as beef, chicken, and bacon. So far, on average here in San Angelo fresh fruit is up 10.6% on average.
8) Coffee It costs more to "wake up and smell the coffee" .This commodity was already suffering plant diseases and other issues in the countries that supply world markets. Current inflationary pressures are only adding the coffee prices and experts predict a gloomy future. Here in Corpus Christi, Coffee prices are up an average of 10.5%
LOOK: Here are 25 ways you could start saving money today