Holiday Song History: ‘Dominick the Donkey’
- Song - Dominick the Donkey
- Year - 1960
- Written By - Ray Allen, Sam Saltzberg, Wandra Merrell
- Performed By - Lou Monte
Other Random Facts
- The song talks about a donkey who helps Santa take gifts, that were made in Brooklyn, to Italy, because the reindeer can't climb Italy's hills.
- In 1960, the song hit number 14 on the "Bubbling under the Hot 100" list, which is basically a list for songs that don't make that actual Hot 100.
- It had a resurgence in 2011 thanks to British radio talk show host Chris Moyles playing the song frequently reference to show contributor Dominic Byrne. They ended up putting together a campaign to get the song up to number 1, but they came up short with the song peaking at number 3 on the UK Singles Chart.
- The original title of the song has Dominick spelled with a "K" on the end, but the re-release dropped the "K".