Headlines That Were Missed Because of 9/11
9/11 is one of those stories that you will always remember where you were when you found out about it. It trumps any and all other stories. Well, now that we look back 17 years later, we can look back at what else was going on in the world that would have made headlines.
- A flight attendant claimed former Congressman Gary Condit pressured her to sign an affidavit falsely stating they did not have romantic relations. A grand jury rejected the complaint.
- Delta stewards announced they would have a vote on whether they would unionize or not.
- Yankees outfielder Paul O'Neill was placed on the disabled list because of a stress fracture in his left foot. The concern was whether or not he'd be ready for the playoffs. He did end up playing in the post season, with the Yankees losing in the World Series to the Arizona Diamondbacks 4 games to 3.
- The DNC was doing what they could to get Jim McGreevey elected governor of New Jersey.
- Fernando Ferrer woke up thinking he'd be competing in a primary to succeed Mayor Giuliani. The election was postponed, and Michael Bloomberg would later win.
- The sports world was buzzing with the rumors that a 38-year-old Michael Jordan was possibly planning a comeback to the NBA.
- Jay-Z's iconnic album The Blueprint was released on 9/11
- The number 1 movie on 9/11? The Musketeer. Some other notable movies in theaters that previous weekend. Jeepers Creepers, Rock Star, The Others, Rush Hour 2, American Pie 2, Rat Race, The Princess Diaries, O, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Planet of the Apes, Jurassic Park III