Random Facts About Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
So Buzz clued us in today as to why he has a special place in his heart for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. And it damn near ruined the beloved Christmas tale for all of us. But anyway, here are some random facts about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
- No matter how big your TV is, the figurines were small. Rudolph was 4-inches tall, Santa was 8-inches, while the Bumble figurine stood 14 inches tall.
- The special clocks in at 47 minutes of runtime, but it actually took 18 months to film.
- The original narration was done by Larry Mann (the voice of Yukon Cornelius) and although it's never been released to the public, those who have heard it say it had a very heavy Brooklyn accent.
- The elf who wants to be a dentist? His name is Hermey, not Herbie.
- One second of film is 24 frames.
- When the original special aired in 1964, Rudolph, Hermey and Yukon Cornelius promise to return to Misfit Island but never do. This caused such an uproar, when the special re-aired in 1965 a brief scene was included with them returning to Misfit Island and Santa and the reindeer delivering the Misfits to new homes.
- The little doll on Misfit Island doesn't have any physical deformities, which made people wonder why she was there. Well, according to Arthur Rankin (Producer), she was depressed because her owner didn't want her anymore and felt unlovable. Talk about a bucket of cheer for the holidays.