Fun at the Fort!
Fort Concho’s “Fun at the Fort” children’s summer program touches on a dozen topics, spanning from chuckwagon cooking and genealogy to sewing and 1800s base ball.
All sessions but one (chuckwagon cooking) are from 9:30 a.m. until noon at the fort, 630 S. Oakes St.; costs $10 or $15 per child; and caters to ages 6-14. Space is limited, so participants are encouraged to register early at the fort. Registration forms are available at fortconcho.com under the “Educational Programs” link. The schedule of Fun at the Fort programs includes:
- Striker to the Line! on Friday, June 7. Play base ball the way Fort Concho soldiers did in the 19th century. Ages 6-12. $10.
- Join the Infantry! on Wednesday, June 12. Enlist for a day of marching, drilling and sampling rations. Ages 6-12. $10.
- Sound Off on Friday, June 14. Listen to 19th-century music and play period instruments. Ages 6-12. $10.
- Plants and Pioneers on Tuesday, June 18. Learn about medicinal, edible and useful Texas plants and engage in clever craft projects. Ages 6-12. $10.
- Boy’s Own Tour on Wednesday, June 19. Boys learn about the fort and Victorian era pastimes. Ages 8-14. $10.
- Birdie’s Birthday Bash on Tuesday, June 25. Celebrate Birdie Cooper’s birthday with an old-fashioned party. Ages 6-12. Cost $10.
- Fiddle Fire Friday on Friday, June 28. Learn to cook chuckwagon style … then enjoy the lunch you helped prepare. Ages 6-12. Starts at 9 a.m. Cost $15.
- A Stitch in Time on Tuesday, July 2. Learn embroidery skills and craft a keepsake. Ages 6-12. $10.
- Little Miss Tea Time on Tuesday, July 9. Enjoy a frontier tea party and learn about life at the fort for little girls. Ages 6-12. $15.
- Girl’s Own Tour on Thursday, July 11. Girls learn about the fort and Victorian era pastimes. Ages 8-14. $10.
- Southwest Indians on Wednesday, July 17. Visit a tepee, sample Indian foods and create Native American crafts. Ages 6-12. $10.
- Tracing Your Roots on Thursday, July 18. Chart your family tree after learning genealogy techniques. Ages 8-14. $10.
For more information, contact Special Events Coordinator Carol Cummings at (325) 657-4441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.