Five Reasons People Stay In Bad Relationships
I read an article this morning that listed 5 reasons people stay in bad relationships. Here is the list with my thoughts after each reason.
- You feel pressured to settle down - I know people who have married specifically because of this reason. You can probably figure out how well those marriages went. I'd say 2/3 are divorced now.
- You decide you don't have it that bad compared to other couples - Never compare anything in your life to what someone else has. Just because someone is in a bad relationship, doesn't make your relationship good. Just like someone having a great house doesn't necessarily make your house bad.
- You don't want to be alone - This can be difficult for most people. Being alone is scary. But I'm also a firm believer that you can't truly be happy until you can be happy being alone. Being alone isn't so bad, in fact, it's great. You don't have to answer to anyone, you can do whatever you want, etc.
- You've invested too much time and energy, and don't want to start over with someone new - This one I find to be the most difficult because you really don't want to feel like your work is all for nothing. You've spent time and energy on this person. But the best thing you can do is use what you learned from that relationship in a future relationship.
- You don't think you can do any better - Screw this. If you're in a bad relationship, you can always do better. There are 7.125 BILLION people on this planet. Find someone you connect with, have fun with and want to be around. They're out there.